Thursday, August 4, 2016

100 Days of Batman Day 9. August 4th. 2016

Issue 5 of Batman & The Monster Men by Matt Wagner is an issue with entirely no action. This is slightly disappointing after how much was in the previous issue. It is entirely set up for what will ultimately be the final showdown between Batman and the "monster men". To say anything more about the book will spoil story elements. However I believe I can safely say this is not a damsel in distress story which could not make me happier. Sometimes I love it when I'm wrong and in this case I do.

Now action doesn't necessarily make a comic better than one without but it certainly is fun. Despite there being no action, the book is most definitely A MUST READ. At first I did not think the book deserved "a must read" rating but "worth your time". After thinking it over and letting what the author was going for sink in it made perfect sense that this was a great book and leads up to the finally almost perfectly. Was I disappointed  the book lacked action? Yes. But it sets up the final issue for what I'm sure will be action packed and that has me thrilled. The book does everything right with how it sets up for the final issue. All story threads are neatly brought together and should all be tied up with none being left dangling in the wind. I am super excited to read issue 6 and see just how this story ends. It has turned out to be a pleasant surprise thus far.

N. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment