Wednesday, August 24, 2016

100 Days of Batman, Day 29

The second half of Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader takes place in Detective Comics #853. Batman greatest foes and friends are all at his funeral talking about their final moments with the Dark Knigh. Something however is not right, Batman is watching all this happen in front of him but things are not happening they way he remembers. Is he truly dead or is there something more sinister at work?

I have to say this book caused me to feel sad. I realized what was happening about a third of the way through and it made so much sense but I got sad. This was Batman's life or I should say lives flashing before his eyes. Batman truly does die in this book, and as he lay dying he is shown the many different lives he has lived weather it was the same soul or simple multiple parallel worlds I am not exactly sure. I think this half of the story could stand alone and is certainly A MUST READ. The story is essentially about that in the end Batman's story ends with his death, no matter how significant a death it may be. It is a fact that I think all fans of Batman know but don't necessarily think about it, and why would we? Batman always manages to service.

N.S.


No comments:

Post a Comment