Thursday, September 22, 2016

100 Days of Batman, Day 58

Winding down on the No Man's Land series tonights Bat-reading was a two issue story line entitled Shellgame. Written by Greg Rucka and art by Sergio Cariello, Shellgame tells the story of Lex Luthor and his push to assert his dominance over Gotham. It is not entirely clear what Lex's motivation or reason in rebuilding Gotham is, but it just so happens to be on the eve of "No Man's Land" being abolished. Batman knowing that Lex is actually a threat and not the savior he wants the world to be he decides to confront him for answers.

Before getting into my thoughts on Shellgame I have to say I am very ready for No Man's Land to end. Not because it is bad but because I am ready to move on to something else. Being a five volume set I am pretty sure the original run was likely done over a year. Ok so now on to my thoughts. The first word that comes to mind when I think of how to describe these two books is "boring". Which is to bad because the majority of No Man's Land has been excellent. Now I know that you are bound to you have a few boring issues in order to propel certain plot points along, but I really wanted some entertainment and the last few issues in the main story arc are just blah. Shellgame is COMPELLING. It would likely stand up better if I had red all of volume five in a single setting. I may revise my feelings after finishing the rest of the volume.

N. S.



No comments:

Post a Comment