Thursday, October 13, 2016

100 Days of Batman, Day 79

All right so today is the day that I am going to attempt to implement some simple writing changes that will hopefully improve on the blog. It may take some time and trial and error but I that is ultimately what one of the primary goals of this blog is. The biggest change is I am going to do my best to no longer attempt to tiptoe around spoiling a story arc. Anything over two years old from now on I may spoil without warning. If i read a more recent book I will do my best to not spoil the story but if spoiling it will help with my writing I will of course warn you that the post will include spoilers. So lets get to it and of course constructive criticism is always welcome, it helps keep your writing sharp. Oh and I am writing much earlier in the day so we will see how that effects my writing.

It is the final issue to the Batman Vs. Robin story arc. Batman Vs. Robin Part Three: Mexican Train written by Grant Morrison and art by Andy Clarke is the culmination in the mystery of what happened to Bruce Wayne and also the final fight between Batman and Robin. Dick Greyson has found the "key" to finding Batman, but has been attacked by Robin who is being controlled by Deathstroke.

Grant Morrison has an amazing way of making me want to read more and more even when story arc wraps up but he manages to through a little hook in the very end that gets me. This is even more amazing to me because he is not my favorite writer nor has his Batman and Robin run been my favorite. This time he really has hooked me to. Revealing that Oberon Sexton aka "The Gravedigger" is in fact the Joker was truly a twist I did not see coming. My hat is off to you Morrison. I was planning on moving on to a different writer when I finished Batman and Robin Part Three but now I have to see where this next tale will go.


The rest of the issue did not grip me nearly the same way as the Joker reveal. I liked it well enough but it was not clear as to what exactly Batman discovered about Bruce Wayne's location. I am ultimately left confused and I felt it was so vague that I must have missed it in between the subplots of the gravedigger and Robin being controlled by Deathstroke and his mother Talia Al Ghul. Lets talk about that for a moment. I do not remember if I talked about how Robin was seriously injured by a gun shot wound early in the Batman and Robin run or not. He was his spine was severely damaged and Talia had him brought home so that the surgeons could repair the damage. As they were performing the surgery she had a device implanted in her son that would allow another to take control of his body as if he was a puppet. A terrible thing to do to your own son. I was always under the impression she deeply cared for Damian but after this its clear is nothing more than a tool to her.

Overall I have to say the book is WORTH YOUR TIME. It does falter in its plot point about the return of Bruce Wayne and I just realized I have no idea why the subtitle is Mexican Train. Anyways it was a good book that ultimately had a few flaws that keep it from being amazing. Well that is that. I did my best to not freak out about spoiling the book I believe I conveyed the pros and cons of the book, but let me know. I need the feedback. And defiantly let me know what your thoughts the book are. I would love to hear them. 

N.S. 








1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the ending was good, overall.
    With the joker twist, did you find, looking back on it, that it was something you might've seen coming, or was it literally something there was no way of guessing?

    ReplyDelete