Wednesday, July 27, 2016

100 Days of Batman Day One, July 27th. 2016.

All right so for the first day of my 100 days of Batman I chose to read Batman Year 100 issue 1 of 4 by Paul Pope and it was published in 2006. Before I get to my thoughts on the book i want to let you know my plan for reviewing as of right now is subject to change. I will be rating all the books I read as both individual issues as well as story arcs. I have not quit figured out the system I will be using as a review score but it will not be based on a number value, but most likely as "a must read, good, not worth your time, etc....." Now that we have the little bit of house keeping done let's talk Batman.

For those of you not familiar with the basic premise of the story arc: It takes place about one hundred years after Bruce Wayne first put on the cowl and his deed have essentially become nothing more then legend. But then a new "bat-man" emerges. This new "bat-man" becomes injured and most go on the run because he is wanted for the murder of a Federal Agent. As a result the Feds and police have a mystery on their hands with the prime suspect being a legend from one hundred years prior. Pretty basic description I know, however that is essentially all I really know having just finished the issue and not wanting spoiling anything.

Before I talk about my impression of the book you should know I had avoided reading it for years despite being told how great it was. The reason I avoided it? One, the art on the first issue was so ugly to me that it turned me off to it. Two, I though it was about a 100 year old Bruce Wayne. These are two very poor reason to not read a book, in this case a comic. So did I like it? Yes, I did, I thought it was great and fits the tone of what I want from a Batman story. It had the elements of almost being a year one story where we do not know much about the hero and we are following him at he very beginning of his journey. That being said this could turn out to be just that, but with a new hero taking up the cape and cowl and using an old legend to his advantage in crime fighting. I know the story is about ten years old now but I don't want to spoil anything for those that may have never read it. So my final verdict on Batman Year 100 issue One is: A MUST READ. Don't let the art stop you it's actually really well done once you get past the cover. Those of you have read it it, do you agree it is A MUST READ?  Come back tomorrow to hear my thoughts on Batman Year 100 issue 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment