Thursday, November 3, 2016

100 Days of Batman, Day 100

Well this is it, the end of the road, the final day of 100 Days of Batman. To bring the 100 days to a close I read the final part of Dark Night: A True Batman Story by Paul Dini and art by Eduardo Risso. As with the first two parts I will in fact be SPOILING this book so if you are planing on reading it for yourself then stop reading now and come back after you have done so.

Paul is ready to throw in the towel and move on to different writing adventures. Feeling abandoned and ashamed he rarely leaves his home out of fear of being mugged again and also the fear that people are silently judging him for not defending himself. That is until one day when he and a friend are out looking through a record store. He happened to be wearing his Warner Bros. coat while there which caught the eye of one of the store clerks. The clerk asked him if he worked at Warner Bros. to which paul replied yes. The man began talking about how great Tiny Toons was which he watched with is wife. Paul had worked on Tiny Toons before moving on to the Batman: The Animated Series. Come to find out this clerk's wife was battling cancer and one of the things that helped her get through it was funny cartoons such as Tiny Toons.

This helped put life in perspective for Paul and the next day he was back at his office working on Batman. He realized that even though a hero may or may not be true or actually exist in the physical world it didn't mean that they were not helping people get through something. Paul would always carry the scars of his mugging both physical and emotional but now understood that just maybe the stories he wrote and would write may be helping someone who just needs to escape from life for a few precious moments.

I love this book it is a MUST READ and was a great way to end the 100 Days of Batman. Reading about one of the creators of a cartoon that would be the foundation for the love I have of Batman was great and surprisingly enjoyable. His personal story has helped to motivate me in my own hobbies and goals in life. He has also taught me that it is ok to escape from the world every once in a while.

This was perhaps one of the most ambitious challenges I have done as far as writing is concerned. Somehow I have written about comics for one hundred days in a row. Not every post was a slam dunk and most of them were only a few paragraphs long, but the important thing is that I did what I set out to do. I am not sure what to do next. I will be taking a few days to figure out where to go from here. I would love to do another 100 days of a comics yet I do have a baby on the way that should be arriving towards the beginning of February and I am not sure I would be able to fully commit to it without missing a day. If any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them in the comments.  Perhaps I will do a smaller day count. Anyways it was fun and I will be posting again in the next few days with what I plan to do next. Thanks to all of you have been reading. I really appreciate it.

N. S.


2 comments:

  1. U could do a weekly comic blog instead of a daily.
    Read a few issues per post instead of one.
    Comics r a quick read. I'm sure u could squeeze em in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it! I say you just keep on trucking, time for 100 days of MODOK.

    I love Paul Dini, I think his work on the tv shows really lets him distill a character and story down to their basics and his stories almost always have a light tone. Plus he tends to include old school pin up fanservice. So he has that going for him.

    ReplyDelete